How do you care for the spiritual needs of your patients? Knowing how to assess a person’s spiritual health and provide spiritual care interventions is part of caring for the whole person.
Care of the spirit, a hallmark of good nursing, is a high priority for Christian nurses. What is known about spirituality and spiritual care? How do we go about offering spiritual care?
Begin with a careful assessment using these questions:
- Do you consider yourself to be spiritual or religious?
- What importance does faith have in your life?
- Are you part of a faith community?
- What spiritual activities are important to you?
- What sustains you and keep you going?
- How would you like me to support your faith or address your needs?
Always remember to focus on the patient’s needs, not your own. Respect the patient’s views and support the person’s decision. Ask God to guide your care of patients and be attentive to his presence.
See the special JCN Collection of articles on Spirituality and Spiritual Care. These are free for NCF members and JCN subscribers or available for purchase. Learn from the Journal of Christian Nursing what researchers, patients, and other experts say makes for good spiritual care.